Mission, Vision & Values
The Sojourner Truth Library fosters learning and supports scholarship at SUNY New Paltz by providing an extensive array of information resources and services.
The Library plays a critical leadership role in supporting and advancing a user-centered learning environment at SUNY New Paltz. As a team of courteous and knowledgeable librarians and staff, we treat users with respect and empathy at all times and serve all members of the academic community equitably, whether they are in the library or at a distance.
We promote and encourage the active and effective use of all library services and resources. We continuously expand information access and delivery by employing state-of-the-art technologies. We successfully instill information literacy skills in all New Paltz graduates through strong collaborative partnerships with classroom faculty. We provide a spacious, well-designed facility that offers ample and varied seating, lighting, and workplace options.
We work together cooperatively and pursue our professional growth to meet the challenges faced by contemporary academic libraries. We regularly assess the library and information needs of faculty and students across campus in order to meet these needs and the changing requirements of new academic programs.
- Communication - We regularly publicize library services and resources regularly to the college community and share information with library colleagues.
- Approachability - We carry out our responsibilities with a welcoming attitude.
- Organization - We organize and maintain our facility, collections and systems to ensure ease of access.
- Cooperation - We build and maintain cooperative working relationships with the college community and with one another to achieve library's mission and goals.
- Respect - We treat all library users and one another with respect.
- Excellence - We strive to provide the best information services and resources for all users.
Approved by Provost Lavallee 1/05