Library Tech Pages
Wireless Printing in the Library
Wireless printing is back on campus. Carefully read the tips below before you go to the campus wireless printing set up page.
Here are some tips:
Before installing wireless printing
- You must have and you should use it for the install. Safari or Chrome will not work.
- Mac users: (Strange but true) If your username on your Mac has a space in it you chould change your user name and remove the spaces before you install.
- Disable your antivirus temporarily
- If it asks you to run your browser as administrator right click on a browser icon on the desktop or in the start menu and choose "Run as Administrator".
- After you have completed PaperCut install find and run PaperCut on your PC Start Menu and login
- You release your print jobs to the printer using the PaperCut web page see below
After you have wireless printing
- NOTE: If your laptop goes to sleep you may need to log in to paper cut again.
- You can login to PaperCut any time you want by right clicking the paper cut icon by the clock and choosing "Login as"
Login looks like this:
You will need to install:
- Install the Novell printing client called an IPP client
- After you install the Novell IPP client you must close all web browser windows before you go to the next step.
- Install the print quota software called PaperCut
- Before you install a wireless printer disable your antivirus temporarily. If antivirus warns you about PaperCut files tell it PaperCut is OK.
- Let PaperCut have access through your firewall if your system asks you.
- Then install the printer itself which will include a printer driver
- The list of Wireless printers is wireless printing set up page
- In the library only PRINTER 1 aka (LIBRARY-LJ1-9050WR) is the only printer set up for wireless.
- It may ask you to exit and run your browser as administrator. To run your browser as administrator right click on a browser icon on the desktop or in the start menu and choose "Run as Administrator" Then go back to the setup page.
Note: on a Mac you will need to download a large HP driver package and install it first
Releasing your print jobs With the PaperCut web page
After printing your jobs will not come out until you release them with these steps:
- Double click the PaperCut icon by the clock
- Click the Details link in the Print Balance Window
- Sign on to the PaperCut web page with your normal SUNY New Paltz user ID and password
- Click on the Jobs Pending release link on the left and then select and release your print jobs to the printer
Then keep the PaperCut web page open all the time to release more print jobs.